What is Trash to Treasure?
The Trash to Treasure Project Team operates a recycling and resale program with the purpose of diverting reusable items from going to the landfill through a series of donation drives and sales throughout the year.
At the end of each semester, we collect all donated items from each of the dorms, sort and weigh it, and sell it back to the UT community for a $1 each item the following semester.
Anything that we do not sell, we donate it to off campus nonprofits and charities, or to local recycling companies to be repurposed. Thanks to student donations and our wonderful volunteers, everyone can look forward for great finds at our sales!
- We divert thousands of pounds from the waste stream annually
- We supply the campus community with inexpensive goods for reuse, such as clothing, electronics, home goods, and office supplies
- We raise funds to support environmental programs at UT Austin
- Since many UT students live in another city, state, or country, they are limited in how much they can pack and bring home. Our services allow them an alternative to trashing perfectly usable items. The collected items are stored, sorted, and resold to the campus community at “garage sale” style events during the following semester. Any items that are not sold by the end of April are donated to local charities or recyclers.
- Click here for more information about donating and volunteering.
Trash to Treasure Blog
- Trash to Treasure & Making Amends
- Making Amends How To