Spring 2021 Update
Are you in a student organization? Would you or your organization like to learn more about ways to tackle waste issues such as participating in the circular economy or affordable zero-waste practices? If so, Green Events has a new initiative, What’s Up With Waste, to bring various waste workshops to your org! Please fill out this form if interested, and Green Events will be in touch soon. We look forward to working with your organization!
What is Green Events?
The Green Events team provides free zero-waste consulting services and recycling and composting services to student organizations planning events or meetings on campus. Currently, Green Events is running virtually and does not provide in-person services. Please read our Spring 2021 update or email email@example.com if you would like to collaborate with us virtually.
Our goal is to reduce waste and educate our community about sustainability and environmental awareness by helping orgs plan Zero Waste Events.
We are always open to coming up with creative solutions to help our community reduce its environmental footprint by advocating zero-waste practices!
What does “Zero Waste” mean?
Zero waste is the practice of sending as little waste to the landfill as possible. This is done by reducing the consumption of single-use goods and otherwise opting for materials that can be recycled or composted. UT Austin has committed to becoming fully zero waste by 2020.
What does the process look like?
- You schedule a consultation. Fill out a form for an event and/or recurring meetings.
- We help you with logistics. We’ll help you choose sustainable products, vendors, and methods of advertising.
- You order supplies for your event. Order supplies for your event as your normally would, but taking our sustainable options into account.
- We show up with recycling and compost bins. On the day of the event, we will show up with recycling and compost bins along with educational signage.
Why should my org get involved with Green Events?
- It’s free and easy. All you have to do is schedule a consultation and we’ll figure it out from there.
- You’ll make an impact. Last year, all of the orgs we worked with diverted 600 pounds of recyclables and compostables from the landfill!
- You could win an award. If your organization applies for the Pillars of the Forty Acres recognition program, hosting a Green Event automatically earns two points in the Responsibility category.
- It will help your org. Hosting a Green Event helps to create an Earth-friendly image for your organization, improves environmental consciousness within UT, and connects you with the rest of the campus sustainability community.
Service for Events
Planning a big event? We’d love to help make it zero-waste! Click the button below to request service for one-time events.
We prefer requests to be submitted at least 2 weeks in advance of the event.
Service for Recurring Meetings
If your student org serves food or produces other kinds of waste during regular meetings, we can help you implement zero-waste practices to reduce your environmental footprint. Click the button below to request service for recurring meetings or events.